Friday, March 04, 2005

iEvil? iKind? iDon't Care!

"More than 100 container loads of tsunami aid go waste at the Colombo port as NGOs, to which they were consigned, are not clearing them because of heavy duties, other charges and bureaucratic procedures imposed by the government.
The Customs officials said that if the containers were not cleared within a stipulated period the goods would be auctioned by the government to private buyers -- meaning that desperate tsunami victims would not get these urgently needed items worth more than 100 million rupees but they would go for commercial purposes.
NGO officials said they had no option but to forego the consignments (including clothes, wheelchairs, crutches, sleeping bags and blankets) because of the new government regulations though they felt sad that much needed items were not going to the thousands of tsunami victims. They said just because of misuse or abuse by a few groups, the government seemed to be imposing collective punishment on all including tsunami victims.
[Daily Mirror] http://www.tamilmedianz.com/tamilaffairs.shtml"


Now, ask yourselves, was it worth while? Are they worthy of our help? Most of the victims were living in poverty. A burden to some societies. With officials like above mentioned, in some dark ways, they were better off dead.

Youse people will probably say that I'm a horrible person. Indeed I am! Especially towards people who don't even wanna help themselves, or a certain foundation that uses donations for their Biz class air tickets.

Late last night, after watching Closer (iReview tomorrow), I was taking a walk from cineleisure to Peace Centre where I caught my ride home. Somewhere along the walk, an Indian man came to me. In a very friendly tone, he asked me if I could spare him some $$$ for food. I took a quick look at him, "Nah~ I'm sorry.", I said & we walked our separate ways. He then approached the next guy.

He was quite well dressed, in 40s maybe, carrying a sling bag, a big fella (belly as big as Mars) & chest hair that'd formed an alliance with his chin. I didn't wanna give him $$$ simply because firstly, I think he could have easily help himself. Secondly, I won't know what will my $$$ end up for; part payment for booze, crack, 4D, whore? (If he had asked me outside 7-11, I may buy him a loaf of bread. Food - maybe. $$$ - Fuck'off!).

I remember there was once an old lady came to me, askin' for 50cts so that she can get a drink. She told me that she was thirsty because she was locked out of the house without her purse since morning. I gave her a few $$$ instead. With her joyous face she said, "Thank you so much! This is wonderful! Now I can even get myself some food for lunch!". I knew she was for real when she happily walked towards the food stall. Her gratitude paid off her debt to me. I'm still buying cat food to feed the strays & I'm rewarded with their trust. They are whom I think needed help.

I'm an Atheist. I don't need to buy my way into heaven. I decide on who I wanna help without answering to any being, & I feel good about it.

Not all tsunami victims were worthless. I salute the fishermen who asked for nothing but new fishing nets; so that they can start a living again, which will help to rebuild their homes.

I'm also proud of the Ah Po around my office. In her 80s, she's still making a living on her own, by collecting papers & sell'em for recycling. If she ever need my help, I'll never turn her down.

On another disgusting note, our medias are full of fuckin' shit! One end, they trashed & bashed people who made & sell the tsunami disaster vcds. On the other, they tell people that their tsunami special is a must see tv programme. A$$Hole$!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home