Friday, February 25, 2005

Constantine (PG) [3.5 Stars]

Rating:★★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Science Fiction & Fantasy
Based on the DC-Vertigo comic book Hellblazer, Constantine is a fantasy/horror/suspense/action drama. John Constantine (Keanu Reeves) a renegade occultist who has literally been to hell and back. Rejected by heaven, he is fighting demons to earn his way back up. When Constantine teams up with skeptical policewoman Angela Dodson (Rachel Weisz) to solve the mysterious suicide of her twin sister, their investigation takes them through the world of demons and angels that exists among us.

I'm not a DC-Vertigo comics reader, so I know nutz about this movie. It's Matrix of the underworld, the way I see it. Some nice CG SFX; especially "Hell", but I find that something is lacking...it's like...it's there but not quite there kinda feelin'. I think it needed more demon fighting scenes. Still, I'm a sucker for fantasy flicks...that tells you things aren't always what they seems to be. Darkness is not necessary bad & Light may be bringing you real darkness. The ending sorta reminded me of Dogma...hmm fan of Kevin Smith?

Not bad for a debut director. I wonder if he is a non-smoker? Throughout the movie you'll see lots of anti-smokin' messages. 90% of the show focused on Keanu, everybody else are just supporting. He didn't act any differently from his Matrixs though...but he sure suits the role...that tired of living kinda face...

1 more plus point! I've always been telling people that crabs, lobsters & prawns are actually insects of the sea! I'm glad that this movie agrees with me! Take note of the Insect Demon! ;)

Go see it. Prepare yourself for the sequel! Lastly, please don't leave the theater as soon as the end credits starts to roll, stay till the end, extra goodie!

Director: Francis Lawrence
Written by: Kevin Brodbin, Mark Bomback, Frank Cappello
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Cast: Keanu Reeves, Rachel Weisz, Shia LaBeouf, Tilda Swinton, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Djimon Hounsou, Gavin Rossdale

1 star for Hell, 1 for the Demons, 1 for the Man himself - Satan (now, I know how to cure terminal illnesses) & 1/2 for the Crab...(Hah! in your faces, seafood lovers!)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home