Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (PG)

Rating:★★
Category:Movies
Genre: Comedy
Jim Carrey stars as Count Olaf, a wily villain with clever disguises and outrageous schemes, who is bent on swindling the Baudelaire orphans out of their family fortune. Featuring the unique blend of intelligence, irony and irreverence that readers of all ages have discovered in Lemony Snicket's best-selling books.

Right after the diversion at the opening sequence, the real, very Tim Burton"ish" dark, twisted, wicked, distorted & funny world appeared; that was when my tiny eyes were opened the widest. Trying to capture as much details of the Production Design before the next set, & the next set, & the next set... Rick Heinrichs is the man responsible for my strenuous eyes. He has been working with Tim Burton like..."forever"! Just like his previous work, The Nightmare Before Christmas & Sleepy Hollow, this movie fed me so well visually.

The Baudelaire orphans Violet (Emily Browning), Klaus (Liam Aiken) & Sunny (Kara & Shelby Hoffman) were very Nickelodeon; very real & not trying to "act cute"! At some point, Carrey is the only one trying to "act cute"...His slapstick performances are funny, but in certain scenes, he'd overdone them.

The story left me hanging in so many ways. Like what's the real story behind the "spy glass", how did Count Olaf survive all his sentences & the whereabout of Olaf? I like the show... but it made me feel like I was being left alone on my bed in the midst of sexual intercourse... naked... erected... without an orgasm... by a gorgeous babe. I wish someone can conclude it, because I don't see the possibility of them making a sequel in the future.

ILM visual EFX is still good, but I find that the CG "friendly python" is a little off...

Director: Brad Silberling
Writer(s): Robert Gordon, Daniel Handler
Cast: Jim Carrey, Meryl Streep, Billy Connolly, Jennifer Coolidge, Liam Aiken, Emily Browning, Timothy Spall, Luis Guzman, Craig Ferguson, Cedric the Entertainer, Catherine O'Hara, Jude Law

2 stars for Rick Heinrichs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home